1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Uher CR 210

Discussion in 'Tech talk' started by stuck-in-time, Jul 30, 2018.

1. stuck-in-time

stuck-in-time Well-Known Member

Got this unit some months ago, as usual the belts have come loose (Not turned to goo. Thank god!), but I was quite intimidated by how packed in the insides look. Now that I have some free time, I decided to give it a try. Thankfully there was a lots of tutorial for in online, and it turned out to be quite easy after all. Mostly due to the top-notch engineering and build quality :thumbup:

P1014398.JPG

PCBs everywhere, but they're in sockets, so you can easily pull it off to do repairs (or just replace it, if you have any problems).

P1014367.JPG P1014376.JPG
    P1014384.JPG P1014388.JPG

I still have some problems to sort out, like the auto-reverse and VU meter, but for now I'm very satisfied with being able to enjoy music from this vintage German equipment. I don't think they're that rare, but I've never seen any other pop up for sale locally, and it's really a unique piece in my collection which is mostly stuff from Japan.

P1014392.JPG P1014387.JPG
    P1014372.JPG P1014365.JPG

Last edited: Jul 31, 2018
    Mister X and autoreverser like this.
  2. T-ster

T-ster Moderator Staff Member S2G Supporter

Wow looks like a lovely unit, Autoreverser really likes these Uhers, I must pick one up sometime.

3. stuck-in-time

Very lovely indeed. Now I just need to find a 5 pin cube DIN connector to hook it up to my speakers. I can't find any for sale locally...

4. autoreverser

autoreverser Well-Known Member

T-ster, how many do you want ? my shelfe is F U L L :biggrin:

5. autoreverser

those units were standard-recorders in all official cars to record the two-way-radio-conversation (police, fire-dep., ambulances etc.).
    there was a more hifi- version CR-240. i still love the quality.

6. autoreverser

7. stuck-in-time

I definitely want one of those towers! Am I correct in assuming that that tuner and amps are much rarer that the decks themselves?

They look especially dashing in black. Mine's got the silver galvanized (?) finish, so only the front cover is black.

8. autoreverser

if you weren't that far away you could have one of mine (as i have two), you would even have the choice between amps (pre-amp only or with power-amp) :ok

9. Mister X

Mister X Moderator Staff Member

I love those boards, I don't remember seeing other audio with removable boards like that except for a ton of 90's mixers I had to salvedge years ago. That's a heck of an offer autoreverser, I think I live a a kilometer or two closer, maybe beer, boomboxes and Octoberfest?

Last edited: Aug 2, 2018
  10. T-ster

T-ster Moderator Staff Member S2G Supporter

You known I'm always up for a parcel from you, about time I bought something new!

They look super packed and nicely engineered, how are they to belt?

This was the post I was thinking of with that lovely stack, very cool.

11. stuck-in-time

Wow! That's a very generous offer! But yeah... I've never actually tried to import stuff from overseas. I'm kinda on a tight budget, and would rather not pay for shipping fees that are comparably high to the price of the units themselves. On top of that, the customs here can be quite tricky. But thanks for the offer!:ok

Do you by any chance have a wiring diagram of the 5-pin cube DIN speaker output jack? I tried looking for it, but the many types of DIN connectors quickly makes it confusing. They seem to vary between units and manufacturers?

12. autoreverser

stuck-in-time, please give me some time, i should have all service-manuals for your unit !

tricky thing with those UHER's is, that they use loads of DIN-sockets and they use all kinda tricky connections - means you can't just use standard DIN-cables, you have to use certain ones for each purpose (...that's why some people think those things are broken - problem is that they were tested with wrong cables...).

and yes, they are quite easy to rebelt.

T-ster, there's one reserved for you ;-)

13. stuck-in-time

That's exactly my problem. I tried looking up Uher DIN speaker cables and all sorts of connectors turn up. And most seems to be discussing the micrphone plugs, while what I want is to connect the Uher to an external speaker. I'm assuming that's done with the leftmost plug?

P1014404.JPG

I'm also curious, what's the Access plug for?

14. Mister X

Mister X Moderator Staff Member

No wonder those plugs went away, there should be plugs with generic pins on them to wire it up, you just need a "pin-out" diagram. I'd say access is for cassette player.