Walkman 150 clutch repair

Discussion in 'Tech talk' started by bub, Feb 23, 2017.

1. autoreverser

autoreverser Well-Known Member

now posts like this are the reason why i like this forum more than any other forum in the f***ing internet...

:thumbsup2:

Sly. and Boodokhan like this.
  2. bub

bub Active Member

It's very easy to replace the caps in this model. On one of my copies the old caps were going out, on the other it was still ok, but I did it anyway.

3. Pomidor

Pomidor New Member

I tried to do clutch repair and opened up my walkman, but I didn't expect to see this IMG_20190810_224518.jpg
    IMG_20190810_224938.jpg As I understood it, last owner just changed the cracked gear with not exactly same one, so only play works fine, but "green button", FF, REW aren't. I really don't know is he bad one, or my saver))

Maybe someone possibly find, where to find the new gear instead of cracked one, or I have only way to buy broken walkman and take gear from it ?

4. bub

bub Active Member

That gear is probably too tall and preventing the other gears from meshing with the top of the clutch drive gear. If this is the case, it might be worth a try sanding it down.
    You should be able to find another walkman with this mechanism as they were very popular. Look for the same buttons or an "EX Head" script on the reel table.

Pomidor likes this.
  5. Pomidor

Pomidor New Member

You are genius !)) Could you measure the height of the gear for me, please, or it will be difficult ? Maybe I could fix it.

6. stereomecha99

stereomecha99 Active Member

Following this thread. What glue do you use for this process? Also shame the member producing gears never came back.

7. bub

bub Active Member

I don't have a gear with me at the moment to measure, but check if the clutch drive gear is touching the surrounding gears in FF/REW mode.

There is no glue that can hold to nylon/delrin permanently, it's only there temporarily to give time to "weld" the gear in by melting it.
    There are people doing 3D printing for some cassette deck gears that are quite high in quality, but I suspect there's not many that want to fix a WM-150 mech.
    (There are more desirable models from a collectibility POV, less 550C)

8. frblaze

frblaze New Member

Hi Pomidor
    If you are still looking for a clutch to repair your WM-150 I have one from a WM-AF605/BF605 they are the same, it’s repaired but fully operational, I test it for hours.
    Greetings

9. naanmic

naanmic New Member

Hey me too looking for one

10. rupi99

rupi99 Active Member

11. Raul

Raul Active Member

How do you remove those gears? I will be repairing my Walkman and I don't want to break it.

12. kmare

kmare New Member

Bumping this thread. I have a very nice example of a WM150. Ive replaced the clutch gear and belt. However the reverse mechansim is sticky.

The large white gear under the clutch gear does not swing between pickups - its getting stuck somewhere. The mechanisms are all well oiled and seem to move freely.
    Is this related to the clutch? is it slipping? The mechanism is incredible complex, really amazing engineering for the time.

13. Raul

Raul Active Member

Mechanism of WM-150 is cheapened version of better WM-10/100/501 mechanism.

14. kmare

kmare New Member

Following up -- WM170 is recapped and sounds great. My issue now is isolated to the transport. Looking if someone can confirm if the belt (new from fixyouraudio/mihokm) or transport is the issue