1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Walkman Archaeology

Discussion in 'Chat Area' started by Mister X, Aug 12, 2017.

1. Machaneus

Machaneus Well-Known Member

Unfortunately with these design prototypes even to know they exist is difficult even more so to find any info , as for the museman , only one other photo is known and this with the "SONY" logo removed.
    Other than that photo of the Walkman with radio , side by side with WM2 , there is no other info . Extremely attractive though , probably Sony paid Frog for their effort but due to technical restrictions or other reasons it didn't reach production.
    The basic idea "smaller than the cassette" though materialized by Toshiba with KT-AS10 and the KT-AS15 and by Hitachi with the CP-88R.

Mister X likes this.
  2. Mister X

Mister X Moderator Staff Member

I'm sure it was the same as other concepts, do some drawings, get approvals for models and then find out if they go into production. Maybe it's one of the models in Hartmut's Collection, it's really nice looking and looks like a production mock-up. We started seeing computer modeling in the mid 90's so I have to believe it's real and not an image.

3. Mister X

4. Mister X

5. Mister X

Personal HiFi Portables, 1982

Personal HIFI.jpg

6. Mister X

This is so cool, what happened to it? The Sony Wrist Watch Radio from Chicago CES 1982!

Sony Wrist Radio 1982.jpg
    Sony Wrist Radio 1982 2.jpg

7. Mister X

Another watch TV from 1982. When we where kids back then this was the stuff of dreams, even with just a few channels including cable, every kid wanted this to be a reality.

EA 1982 Suwa TV.jpg

8. Philip Taylor

Philip Taylor Active Member

How many West Indian cricketers can anyone recognise ,I can spot the two fast bowlers Michael holding and Malcolm Marshall on the right of the picture sitting either side of the man in the middle of them.who i think might be the spinner Lawrence Gibbs ,

Mister X likes this.
  9. Mister X

That game never crossed the ocean, I have no idea whom any are.

10. Longman

Longman Well-Known Member S2G Supporter

It actually says it is the West Indian Cricket Team in the text. It was no surprise to see that this was in Electronics Australia.
    It was a big surprise to see that the West Indies won. Getting free stereos must have inspired them.

http://www.espncricinfo.com/wisdenalmanack/content/story/152259.html

Mister X likes this.
  11. Mister X

107,000 attendance, several days of playing, and I know knothing about that game....Great find Longman, it's interesting to pair up the history with the photo, sometimes I forget how big our little forum is.

12. Mister X

Sony GV-8 Video Walkman

The new guys might wonder why we didn't have one of all of these products, they were very expensive back then, the price of this converts to $1600 USD in 1989. I never saw one or knew anybody that had one. I had two friends with small format video cameras but even those were a few hundred dollars back then. Tapes were just as bad, several dollars for cheap tapes to over $10 for something nice that might work in this.

Sony GV-8 1.jpg
    Sony GV-8 2.jpg

13. Philip Taylor

Philip Taylor Active Member

I recall a link about Walkman clones but I can not find it. however I managed to win two Players sold as for parts .One was a Walkman A-602but the other was a Galileo which to my mind is a clone of the TPS -L2 . I paid buttons for the two units which arrived today . However to my delight the Galileo works perfectly except the volume goes up and down a bit when you insert the headphones .Here are a few pictures of the unit Doesit qualify as a clone on original Walkman . Can this post be moved to the correct link , if possible .

Attached Files:

Mister X likes this.
  14. Mister X

It's down in the gallery section but any of those facinating clones fit nicely in this thread as well. Personally I think the cloning of the Walkman would make a thrilling documentary, I don't think any other product saw such mass duplication. Was it the same factory, different factories or what? I'm pretty sure they were made everywhere, maybe someone made the molds and sold them to the manufacturers, someone knows, we just need to find out whom.
    http://stereo2go.com/forums/threads/my-tps-l2-clones-westman-so-far.331/

15. Ball000

Ball000 Member

Extremely attractive indeed, and if I read correctly it was very appropriately called WALKWOMAN! :delighted:

Thank you so much for all this wonderful stuff in this thread!

Mister X likes this.
  16. Mister X

1997 update on MiniDisc, I'm surprised the computer storage aspect wasn't explored more.
    From Audio Magazine May 1997, American Radio History Website

Audio May 1997 MD.jpg

17. Mister X

The Super Walkman WM-F101 and WM-F202 from 1987

ETI March 1987.jpg

18. Mister X

Another Audio Article from the American Radio History Website, this one is by Leonard Feldman on the Sony TCD-D3 DAT.
    From January 1991

Sony DAT January 1991 Audio 1.jpg
    Sony DAT January 1991 Audio 2.jpg
    Sony DAT January 1991 Audio 3.jpg
    Sony DAT January 1991 Audio 4.jpg
    Sony DAT January 1991 Audio 5.jpg
    Sony DAT January 1991 Audio 6.jpg
    Sony DAT January 1991 Audio 7.jpg

19. Mister X

Sony SRF-42 STEREO AM and FM Walkman. I've got a new one on my radar, I've been looking for a stereo AM radio for a long time, they still broadcast it over here and I'd live to hear the hype. This little gem was only $30 USD in 1996

Sony SRF 42 Januray 1996.jpg

20. Longman

Longman Well-Known Member S2G Supporter

I was amazed to read that it was just 11 years from the original Walkman to this, smaller, Digital version.
    Maybe Mister X is right in his comment that we will never see the same rate of innovation that happened during the 80s.
    Adding in the development costs, I wonder if Sony actually made a profit on these selling them for $850.

Regarding MiniDisc it was a lot more popular in the UK than the USA. One of the first people I knew who bought one was an Audiophile. He was also into Amateur Dramatics and said the random access on MiniDisc made it ideal for doing all the sound effects and music clips needed during a production.

The MiniDisc camera is something I have never seen before. I do remember seeing a combined Digital Camera /MP3 player when both items were the latest "must have" products, and mobile phones did nothing except make phone calls.

Unlike Minidisc we never got AM stereo over here. Most peoples memories of AM were listening to Radio Luxembourg (who played the best Pop in the evening) through the crackles, fading, and distortion.

Last edited: Oct 24, 2019
    Mister X likes this.