1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What is the difference between all the AIWA Compo Boxes?

Discussion in 'Chat Area' started by Mister X, Jan 25, 2018.

Tags:
  1. DutchNick

DutchNick Member

I have a full "30" system, including cabinet, speakers, and the transparent plastic panel with the connection graphics that covers the back of the cabinet. Speakers refoamed courtesy of Good Hifi. Still working on the tape deck. I believe the 30s are the same dimensions as the 22s - would you like the cabinet measurements?

David Waterman likes this.
  2. lupogtiboy

lupogtiboy Well-Known Member

I have this to try out one-day when I get round to it:

20201121_151433.jpg

3. Mister X

Mister X Moderator Staff Member

Yea that's nice! I didn't know the 50 System was that much bigger. I've been running my 22's for the last few weeks, they've got some nice power and the tuner is outstanding, even AM radio comes in great.

Where are yours built?

4. David Waterman

David Waterman Member

I'd love to see some photos

5. lupogtiboy

lupogtiboy Well-Known Member

I'm not sure where mine was built, I'll check next time I'm at my storage container. That's the only 50 series bit I have, recently picked it up on eBay for £10 iirc!

Mister X likes this.
  6. David Waterman

David Waterman Member

7. Chestnut

Chestnut Member

9AF49356-30AA-4189-97B0-84E32E388A78.jpeg BF7C6350-EC6B-4C3B-8860-430C108EDC83.jpeg Glad to see the continued enthusiasm for, and information about these mini systems since I last posted on this thread a few years ago. I have a complete, working and pristine M-301/ Aiwa 30 system (pre-power-tuner-cassette-SC-E11 speakers), with rack handles, all original user manuals and service manuals, and a second P30 power amp to run in bi-amp mono-block set up, as well as a spare pre-amp. Really nice little system, which I use occasionally, my Aurex 15 mini system being what I use day to day.

I also used to have a full Aiwa 22 set (same 4 unit combo with pre-power) but sold that a few years ago when someone made me a very good offer. However, I also have about 4 L22 cassette decks, collected over the last year or two, just because I enjoy repairing these little things. I recently found an ultra rare MT-22H digital timer unit, this being the European version. I’ve only seen these come up once before in the last five years on eBay (as I bought one 3 years ago, but it was damaged, so sold it on), and they mainly come up from time to time as Japanese versions on yahoo.jp auction site or similar, so no good for European use.

Having found another, this time in A1 condition, I thought that I might now re-build another system 22, but get the R22 tuner and the integrated A22 amplifier rather than the pre-power combo, as in my opinion, this system looks great as a stack of 4 units, but not five - looks wrong aesthetically to me. Anyway, I wondered if anyone has a copy of the user manual or the service manual for the MT-22..? I found some instructions for how to operate it on a Japanese website a few years ago which I managed to translate, but it would be great to find the original Aiwa literature. Even an Aiwa brochure/catalogue page including this bit of kit would be interesting to see as there’s almost nothing to be found on the web. View attachment 28190 66482294-B2C6-4ACA-90D5-E222B9AEDD54.jpeg

Last edited: Apr 2, 2021
    nickeccles and Mister X like this.
  8. Longman

Longman Well-Known Member S2G Supporter

I think you have cornered the market on those. I have had a saved search looking for one since getting an A10 amp and R10 tuner well over a year ago but haven't seen any.
    http://stereo2go.com/forums/threads/aiwa-series-30-mini-hi-fi-system-1980-january-2019.3647/

I'm not that bothered now having just bought some almost as small Denon separates.
    http://stereo2go.com/forums/threads/denon-mini-system.7031/
    There is no shortage of cassette decks for those and I got an almost matching cassette deck for that on the first auction I bid on. It arrived yesterday. When I have some spare time tomorrow I will take some photos.

9. Chestnut

Chestnut Member

Depends where you were looking - these came from Germany, Italy and France, via eBay and other in-country auction sites that I used to use until Brexit made buying from Europe more tricky. I missed out on a couple which came up in the UK in the past year on eBay, and also passed on several which looked too tired or had mains leads shortened (I.e. not original), but generally speaking have always found that the best kit comes from German sellers - they must have bought a lot of it back in the day, they didn’t tend to cut mains leads short for multi-block plugs, and generally seem to look after kit like this better than most.

10. Mister X

Timers for any audio seem to be in short supply, i've got one for the 80 Series but have never seen one for the 22 Series for sale. There always seems to be one for the 80 Series on ebay over here. That Toshiba is really nice, maybe someday I'll find one. I have some other special units, we just need to get anyone to start a micro-stereo thread and I'll post them.

Chestnut likes this.
  11. nickeccles

nickeccles Well-Known Member

I have a nice Series 50 cassette deck awaiting repair/rebelt! They are beautiful machines but not easy to work on! I WILL get it done & post pictures here!

Mystic Traveller and Mister X like this.
  12. Mister X

Nice to see you around nickeccles, your machine probably looks brand new, it's always nice to see your detail work.

nickeccles likes this.
  13. Chestnut

Chestnut Member

E050A067-8561-45E6-8EFF-25D84DE6BA50.jpeg It’s funny the way things work out sometimes - having said only a week or two ago on my previous posting that I was going to find the integrated A22 amp to make a 4 stack system with the timer I found recently, I came across a virtually mint one-owner full system 22 with the pre/power combo, so I bought it. It arrived a couple of days ago, as did the timer, and everything has been cleaned up. I’m blown away with the condition, and it all works fine. I’ll change the belts and idler tyres/tires and have a couple of parts to glue back into place where the original adhesive has perished, these being the two gates for two lever switches on the ore-amp, and the upper alu facia plate on cassette deck. Happy days!

lupogtiboy and Mister X like this.
  14. Mister X

I wonder how much that timer went for new, that was still early in the digital days when they tended to sell for a premium. Those rack handles are a bonus, I feel like the European Units had them but the were a rarer option for the rest of the world.

15. Chestnut

Chestnut Member

9AE387E4-DB3B-4838-A8BD-D3A55444E55E.jpeg
    I’m not sure about the rack handles, though I know Aiwa made some faux wooden cabinets to house these systems, possibly manufactured at their UK plant, and these had clips to lock the rack handles into. I’ve got one, as it came with the system just bought. I’ve also seen these aiwa units for sale in Japan with the handles, and also across Europe and in the UK. Some new in box European ones sold last year on eBay included handles in the box for each component. As for the original price, this image is from online info repository Radio Museum, so not fact as the data comes from members, but indicates 11000 yen in 1979 as the MT-22 price at launch in Japan. No idea what they were sold for in Europe or elsewhere.

Mister X likes this.
  16. Mister X

For that time it was pretty expensive, about 1/2 of what a nice receiver was going for.

I don't think I have a single rack handle, I've bought equipment here and lugged it back from Japan. They come up for sale here but it's years between when they show up.

17. Mister X

Mystic Traveller likes this.
  18. Mister X

19. Mister X

Found another neat ad from 1979 for the Carry Compo, the price is in Singapore Dollars, roughly (x .75) to get USD.

aiwa carry compo 1979.png

20. Mister X

Another cool ad from 1980, the AIWA System I and II. So now I'm confused, the System I is rated a 36 watts and the System II at 60 watts, I thought the only difference was the AIWA S-C22 Preamplifier. My amp is AIWA Model number S-P22, the System I Amp is SA-A22, they basically look the same, is there that much added juice to the P22?

Both systems look like they have the ultra-rare SC-E11Y Speakers, beautiful all metal, and very heavy, bookshelf speakers.

aiwa 22 system 1980.png