1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What is the difference between all the AIWA Compo Boxes?

Discussion in 'Chat Area' started by Mister X, Jan 25, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Mister X

Mister X Moderator Staff Member

Another AIWA Mini Stereo, the M-606 from 1981

AIWA M606 1981.png

nickeccles likes this.
  2. Gonçalo Dumas

Gonçalo Dumas Member

Hi, been following this thread for a while now. Huge fan of these Aiwa mini-systems. Had the luck to buy two 22/3, one 30/4 and an incomplete 50/4.
    Also got a Sencor system that closely resembles Aiwa devices of the time, maybe a rebadged clone.
    A mid 80's Aiwa MX-70 (incomplete) and two Pioneer Progression VI setups.
    This is my "sound wall", comprised of 80's mini-systems and Lego.
    Also, I have a lovely Aiwa Aiwa AD-6500 tape deck, among other devices.
    Huge Aiwa early eighties fan!

Last edited: Jun 16, 2021
  3. Gonçalo Dumas

Gonçalo Dumas Member

One of my Aiwa L22 deck was missing both metal cover inserts - apart from being dirty and pretty beaten up.
    All my devices are thoroughly disassembled and cleaned, then some maintenance is done, mainly to avoid further deterioration.
    As this is a hobby and I've been pretty occupied at work, I tend to delay total functional and aesthetical recuperation to later times.

The before and after of one of my 22/3.

Last edited: Jun 16, 2021
    Emiel and Mister X like this.
  4. Mister X

Very nice Goncalo Dumas, that cleaned up really nicely. Please post the Sencor when you have a chance, I feel like I found an ad for it somewhere in one of these threads.

Here's a new ad from Australia 1981, the M301, that turntable looks beautiful; too bad they didn't have something like the Sony Saw Blade TT with the mini footprint.

AIWA 301 1981.jpg

Last edited: Jul 17, 2021
    nickeccles and lupogtiboy like this.
  5. Reli

Reli Well-Known Member

Nice collection! Please post the model number of the Sencor, that's an unusual brand with limited information. They were a Swiss business during the 80s, but now they're Czech I think. I have a few Sencor boomboxes, but not any of their hifi systems.

Mister X likes this.
  6. Gonçalo Dumas

Gonçalo Dumas Member

Hi, not to deviate this great thread from the Aiwa compos, I created a new thread on these Sencor devices.
    Here: http://stereo2go.com/forums/threads/sencor-series-65.7392/

7. allan1836

allan1836 New Member

248286139_4980508685315193_9139049697808959752_n.jpg 248987092_336860898210645_8681344473442547372_n.jpg 250850825_907528996791954_5858978019939895618_n.jpg Hi Guys ! Early Christmas for me acquiring this rare Aiwa Series 35 set with original rack ! Pretty cool looking and sounds great to booth.

Radio Raheem, Mister X and Silver965 like this.
  8. Mister X

Very nice! Do you guys have stations on both AM and FM?

nickeccles likes this.
  9. Mister X

10. michel3105

michel3105 New Member

I might have purchased exactly one of those, but it's impossible to tell, unless we find exactly which models were involved in the class action.
    The CD broke first, for sure, and turned out impossible to properly repair. Luckily the tuner, cassettes and amplifier worked great until two years ago.

11. Mister X

Here's the model numbers....It's amazing how many systems they were cranking out.

AIWA CD Mini System Settlement.png

12. michel3105

michel3105 New Member

Yes, I have the CX 810, third in the list.
    The plate, however, shows the letter "Z" instead of "YUB", but I think that this is only a minor version identifier for different markets.

Mister X likes this.
  13. Mister X

Here's a neat ad, pricing is Singapore Dollars from 1979. This shows two different racking options but it also has the two different amps, one has the pre-amp and one has the integrated. Back when I first started this thread I didn't know there was two amp options but luckily I've found both versions. Of course the stand-alone amp is awesome looking and a great addition to the stack. It does make you wonder what's inside the non-integrated amp since they look identical.

AIWA 22 1979 8.png

nickeccles likes this.
  14. nickeccles

nickeccles Well-Known Member

Yeah the integrated amplifiers are excellent they sound the same as the separate option to me! Love em!!

Mister X likes this.
  15. Mister X

The Straits Times, 27 May 1979

The Straits Times, 27 May 1979.png

16. Mister X

Wegavision, from HiFi-Archive has been uploading a ton of his brochures to archive.org, here's the BASF HiFi-Mini Komponenten. It looks like they didn't have any options and the brochure is as plain as the units.

BASF Mini 1.png
    BASF Mini 2.png
    BASF Mini 3.png
    BASF Mini 4.png
    BASF Mini 5.png

nickeccles and Radio Raheem like this.
  17. Radio Raheem

Radio Raheem Well-Known Member

Not into these mini systems they are not substantial enough but that one sure looks great mr x:wink:

Mister X likes this.
  18. Mister X

My desk/computer system is R22 Tuner, S-C22 Preamp and an S-P22 hooked to Klipsch Heresys, I've got a thirty-something inch monitor between the speakers and it's a really wonderful sounding system. I hate working on a phone and a don't really like laptops. There's a time and place for all of this audio stuff, luckily I'm very enviroment sensitive. I've got a mono boombox in the rest-room and several others around the rooms in the house, an early 90's Technics multi-channel on the TV, but I rarely use it, and a few 70's mega-builds that don't get nearly enough use.

The weakest link in these mini-systems is the speakers that came with the systems; the little guys just don't have a full range of sonics, especially at higher volume. Throw in some larger speakers and most of these systems will really shine but you also have the option of keeping it small. A lot of these were very robust builds and they were not cheap, some were much more than the local electronics store packaged-deal full size similar equipment.

One of the reasons I like these is that they were rare, I never saw one as a kid. All of my brother's friends had the big stuff, mostly Pioneer Recievers, Technic's TT's, etc. It's the same with portables, we had a ton in my little town but they were the nice basic models, usually in silver or black, none of the cool colors we now know exist.

nickeccles likes this.
  19. Mister X

The Straits Times, 27 May 1979

The Straits Times, 27 May 1979, Page 9.png

20. Mister X

55 members on line now, wow, I think that's a record! Anyway I found this ad for sale on Ebay, pretty cool, check out his other ads, there's some interesting stuff.
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/165382743551

CS-9.jpg