1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What is the difference between all the AIWA Compo Boxes?

Discussion in 'Chat Area' started by Mister X, Jan 25, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Mister X

Mister X Moderator Staff Member

A small retailer's blurb in Leisure Time Electronics 1981 for the M-501, with some magazines and search terms!

AIWA M-501 1981.png

2. Mister X

Found this ad from 1981, pricing is USD, I had no idea that battery pack was so expensive!

AIWA 1981.png

3. David Waterman

David Waterman Member

Nice! What currency is that in? I can't see any clues...

4. lupogtiboy

lupogtiboy Well-Known Member

Erm...without wanting to be 'that' guy, it says US Dollars in the description!

5. David Waterman

David Waterman Member

OK, I'm blind...I /still/ can't see a currency - re-read it several times :/ Could you point out where?....never mind! It is not in the ad itself, but the comment Mister X added...doh. Sorry about that :)

lupogtiboy likes this.
  6. David Waterman

David Waterman Member

I had one of those back in the early '80s, but sold it in the late '80s - because I wanted a more 'mature' set up, ie a rack system with components chosen for their forte....regretted it ever since.

But....my mum bought me another one for Christmas just gone (off ebay)...I've yet to pick it up (from a friend that did the purchase), but I'm quite keen to do so! I don't know if the cassette deck works, but the rest, apparently, is in good order.

7. lupogtiboy

lupogtiboy Well-Known Member

The cassette deck will definitely need the belts doing, I have 2 or maybe 3 decks that need doing, but I've heard they are a pain to do so never bothered with mine!

8. David Waterman

David Waterman Member

Yeah, I had read that the belts are a pita to replace, but I'm up for a challenge. Do you know of any guides on how to do it? Perhaps I can also document my experiences doing it...or not doing it :/

9. Mister X

Post photos when you get it David Waterman, I'd love to see it. I think there's some info floating around the internet about changing the belts, I've got a handful of those little AIWA Decks but also haven't cracked any open yet. When I started this thread you could still get a stack for pretty reasonable but they're starting to ask for big money now for the units.

10. Mister X

From 1979

Mart 1979-07 Vol 25 Iss 18.png

11. Mister X

Some insight into mini-components from 1979, MART Magazine. I would love to see some of the vintage displays for this equipment!

Mart 1979-09 Vol 26 Iss 1 1.png
    Mart 1979-09 Vol 26 Iss 1 2.png

12. Mister X

Found this press release out of Stereo Magazine from 1980, now I have to see if I've got the AA-16VH amp?

Stereo Summer 1980 Vol 13 Iss 3.png

13. DutchNick

DutchNick Member

Here is a complete Aiwa 30 system with speakers, cabinet, and the funky plastic cover that goes over the back!
    IMG_1180.JPG
    IMG_1182.JPG
    IMG_1178.JPG
    IMG_1179.JPG

nickeccles and Mister X like this.
  14. Reli

Reli Well-Known Member

Wow, very nice!

15. Gonçalo Dumas

Gonçalo Dumas Member

16. Mister X

That looks like a wade of cash! The speakers look nice, AIWA seemed to have put some money into the little speakers. I'm wondering about the inverted dust cover a la Marantz, is that original?

Thanks for sharing, that has to be a very rare complete set.

17. Mister X

Found some new UK Magazines over on worldradiohistory.com Here's pricing for a little AIWA 22 System from 1980

AIWA 22 Hi-Fi-News-1980-05.png

18. Mister X

So the UK Factories only did some assembly work... From 1985, Everyday Electronics Magazine

everyday_electronics-1985_08.png

19. David Waterman

David Waterman Member

That's very interesting.

It makes me wonder, though, what exactly does a 'Made in the UK' sticker on one of these actually make me think is going to be different.

The main implication *to me* is that it will be tuned to sound better to the 'British ear'. IINM, the British tend to like 'flatter' sounds - not as bass heavy as other markets - so focuses on crisper treble and mid-range. I can literally remember thinking this is what it would mean, and I've actively looked for the label on Aiwa equipment with this idea (rightly or wrongly, probably wrongly).

In any case, I think that sort of work can be done without any local work.

Of course, there's still the possibility that the 'audio engineering' work could have been done in the UK, since it is 'one time' work done before anything is actually manufactured, and the result being some slight difference in key components that could still be shipped from 'the far east'.
    The article also admits that transformers are sourced locally. IINM, transformers are key components for audio equipment, and contribute to sound quality.

Frankly, I don't find anything especially surprising in the report, though it is interesting. What did people actually expect?

I also wonder what the unstated 'long term significance' is...we're left to make our own conclusions there, which is irritating. Might it hint at some kind of anti-Japanese attitude?

I am reminded of the label on Apple products - 'Designed in California. Assembled in China.' or something like that. Perhaps something like that would have been more accurate? Too wordy for a sticker though.

Mister X likes this.
  20. Mister X

I don't know but Marantz was doing it back in the 70's, "Designed by Marantz U.S.A. Produced in Japan" was common on the mid-70's products on the back label.

I remember back in Michigan they started a "Foreign Trade Zone" where mostly Japanese and German Car Part Manufacturers could import product parts and clear customs faster. I think they had some assembly, something very similar, just putting a few screws together. I'm sure the auto manufacturers were driving the policy, any delay could shut down a plant, and they were huge with thousands of workers moving 24 hrs a day. Most auto manufacturing moved to Mexico in the 90's and they made the suppliers build across the street, when they needed a part a forklift would bring it over. At this point it became very hard to determine where everything was coming from.