What is the difference between all the AIWA Compo Boxes?

Discussion in 'Chat Area' started by Mister X, Jan 25, 2018.

Tags:
  1. David Waterman

David Waterman Member

How where those items different to what was available elsewhere? ...or where the ones designed in the USA actually made for sale worldwide? I think I would probably have avoided anything designed in the USA because they're likely too heavy on the bass.

Hrm. I suppose it could be that they just have a world-wide design team, or something...I guess that could be what the EEC were going for, though, if so, it seems like the qualifications for it were poorly designed.

2. Mister X

Mister X Moderator Staff Member

I don't know the exact history so don't quote me on this, but I think when Superscope took over Marantz, they started offshoring production and the early fans didn't like the change in direction, plus they were going from tubes to solid state. With the purchase of Standard Radio (Japan) in 74, all production moved overseas. I think they put that on the back label to show there was still some pride back home.

We don't really know the full scope of "Designed in the U.S.A." it could mean anything. I talked with one of the old marketing managers a few years ago, they used to fly regularly to Japan for meetings, what does that tell you?

3. Silver965

Silver965 Well-Known Member

I have looked at this tred from the beginning ... but I have not found this version until now ... I have seen mt-22 looks identical but with small differences besides the side handles, the different diverter knob and the smaller AM PM letters. .. and very similar to those you see in the brochure of the Basf hi mini, published by @Mister X . Measurements are 210mm x 175mm x 77mm .. The question is ... which mini Compo system does it belong to ... 22 no for sure ... should there be a smaller compo version running in the world or is it a model separately sold separately

Mt--20A.jpg DSC03389B.JPG DSC03390A.JPG

Last edited: Sep 13, 2022
    nickeccles likes this.
  4. Mister X

If I had to guess, it was probably an accessory for any system. I searched through the overseas websites and found very little information on it. Sony also had a similar sized timer.....

5. lupogtiboy

lupogtiboy Well-Known Member

I think that timer is part of the 22 series, I have this picture I saved many years ago from The Vintage Knob website that shows all of the components in the series as far as I know
    444991-aiwa_mini_components_22_or_other_series.jpg

I also have a copy of this BASF flyer showing a similar unit for their version

sg7hfm.jpg

6. Mister X

His timer is different, it has hex-head screws on the plate, red writing, a different model number and the toggle switch is different.....

7. Mister X

Everytime Wegavision has a dump on archive.org, it's a treasure trove of German Audio Information, thanks Wega! The noise reduction system is new to me, anybody own it? It looks like it has it's own system logo? Why two, one for speakers A and one for speakers B? It looks like in-depth testing, what's the verdict?
    AIWA Series 50 from 1981

aiwa 1 1981.png
    aiwa 2 1981.png
    aiwa 3 1981.png
    aiwa 4 1981.png
    aiwa 5 1981.png
    aiwa 6 1981.png
    aiwa 7 1981.png
    aiwa 8 1981.png

8. Chestnut

Chestnut Member

The MT-20 timer is certainly a curiosity as u believe it is the same size as the system 22 components, but must pre-date it. Have the MT-22 timer with my system 22, and also have the system 30, basically the same gear a bit updated but in more modern cases. All pictured above in this thread from memory from a few years ago. I have been hunting for the elusive MT-3 timer to go with it. I have seen plenty of these for sale on Japanese auction sites over the 5+ years I have been searching, but all in shoddy condition and of course just the Japanese versions which are 100v. Up until last month I had only ever seen one non Japanese version for sale, which had sold before I got to it -that was back in 2018! So I was amazed when one came up here in the UK in as new, boxed condition, and a 120/240v version. Here is a pic of it with theMT-22. 2E4072D2-58EC-4BFC-B0BB-6F72F7656F34.jpeg

9. Mister X

If I had to guess, I'd say your right, we've seen a few other brands of timers and most are small units. Maybe AIWA was working on the design and footprint of the 22 Series and had a ton of cabinets sitting around that fit the timer perfect. I bet the engineers at AIWA never thought people would be wondering 45 years later......

Silver965 and Chestnut like this.
  10. Mister X

From Audio 1979 (Germany), thanks Wegavision!

Audio 1979 Heft 7  1.png
    Audio 1979 Heft 7  2.png

11. allan1836

allan1836 New Member

I have one but tape deck needs belt replacement. Anybody has a service manual for the AD-L35 tape deck.

12. Mister X

Posted by NagoyaAB388 on Twitter, he has a cool feed, check it out!

Aiwa My Pace.jpg

13. TooCooL4

TooCooL4 Well-Known Member

Mister X, what a strange advert, those Japanese are on a different planet. :loldiag::loldiag:

Mister X likes this.
  14. Mister X

Some of their layouts are outstanding, they blend color, font and subject fantastically but then others are similar to the Budweiser Swedish Bikini Team Ads we had in the 80's.

15. Mister X

I'm not sure if this webmaster is a member but they've got a ton of cool stuff on the site for sale including this brochure and lots of boomboxes.
    https://oldboomboxes.com/

AIWA-MY-PACE50.png

16. Chestnut

Chestnut Member

I wonder if they sell any - those prices are something else!

Emiel likes this.
  17. Mister X

my Pace 35 from 1981, The Japan Times
    I've got a set of the cool little Lo-D HS-01 Speakers, they're very nice, all-metal enclosures, I think they were for Walkmans?

The Japan Times 1981-07-11 Full.jpg

18. Mister X

The Japan Times 1979-07-18

The Japan Times 1979-07-18.png

19. Gonçalo Dumas

Gonçalo Dumas Member

Yes! The bloque responsible for my madness just released one of my most expected videos:

20. Chestnut

Chestnut Member

Seems like a good moment given previous post to add a pic of my system 30 complete with timer and SC-e11v speakers IMG_6930D.jpeg

Mister X and Gonçalo Dumas like this.