1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What is the difference between all the AIWA Compo Boxes?

Discussion in 'Chat Area' started by Mister X, Jan 25, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Longman

Longman Well-Known Member S2G Supporter

Being one of his Patreons I know that since making this video he has bought another complete system with a faulty amplifier in the hope of making one working system.

Gonçalo Dumas and Mister X like this.
  2. Chestnut

Chestnut Member

What surprised me was seeing the MT-22 timer, previously pictured in this thread and which I sold on eBay a few weeks ago turn up on this YouTube video!

3. Mister X

Mister X Moderator Staff Member

AIWA M-501 from 1980

AIWA M-501 1980.jpg

4. David Waterman

David Waterman Member

I noticed he mentioned about the individual power cords, which I consider a benefit, but I get his point about being contrary to the micro aspect of the whole thing.
    However, I had the model under the 22 he was looking at, the m-101 "carryin' compo", and it had a mini power strip that fitted neatly into the carrying case, so that it seemed like it only had a single power cable. Of course, it would all be powered by the battery so all the units had dc cords that fed to the battery (via the amp?).
    I sold that in the late '80s but a couple of years ago I bought a replacement from ebay but it is in storage and I've not had a chance to even see it let alone try it out. Totally a nostalgia purchase.
    I suspect I'll have the same joys as tech moan is, in trying to get it to work.

Mister X likes this.
  5. Gonçalo Dumas

Gonçalo Dumas Member

I noticed a while back, in one of his videos, that I think was about competent microsystems of the end of the century, that he had an Aiwa mini-speaker set and he alluded to having the rest of the set, and that, one day he'd make a video about it.

At this point, my bookshelf audio systems "sickness" manifests in 2x 22, 2x 30, 3x50 and one 80 series. I also have two gorgeous Pioneer mini sets, and some sony, technics, ...

Mister X likes this.
  6. Mister X

I have several of the 22 series, both USA and JDM, I'll have to post photos of the behinds. USA and JDM share the same small plugs but JDM is 100v and we are higher. I typically use a transformer to step down the voltage.

The backside of the preamp has two plugs so you don't need a power strip unless you start really stacking the equipment. I watched the first part of the video but it looks like the UK equipment is hacked together on the backsides with extra panels and screws.

7. Chestnut

Chestnut Member

8. Chestnut

Chestnut Member

IMG_4150.jpeg These (pics in previous post) are the rears of the uk/European 240v system 22, and the rear of the timer (the one I sold which was in that video). Like many timers of the day, because demand was always going to be limited, they tended to make a Japan only voltage one, and a switchable 110/220v to cover us and euro markets. I think the guy in the video was mistaking the us/Japan flat pin style plug sockets with what we see on later systems (maybe the 50, and 80) which I think had the facility to plug different components into each other rather than everything working off it’s own mains power lead. I’d have to check on that though. The sockets on the MT-22 are purely so you can plug in two of the components for timer operation. You just had to use plug adapters for anywhere outside the us! I’ll add a pic to show the rear of the system 30. (M301) which is basically the same set up.

Mister X likes this.
  9. Longman

Longman Well-Known Member S2G Supporter

Mister X likes this.
  10. Mister X

That really looks like a Technics, they started cooling their recievers with fans around that time. It wouldn't surprise me if there were a lot of Panasonic/Technics ICs lurking under the cover, without branding on the back I would have said Panasonic.

11. Alex Vega

Alex Vega New Member

I almost bought this timer along with A22 Integrated Amplifier a month ago. Now I'm mad at me why I missed the opportunity. Never mind, I'm very satisfied with A22 amplifier and it works great after light service. Thanks

Mister X likes this.
  12. Silver965

Silver965 Well-Known Member

Some images from the Japanese catalogue

aiwa pace.jpg aiwa pace 2.jpg aiwa pace 3.jpg

13. Mister X

Nice!!!!

14. Mister X

1979, the BASF Version

Stereoplay 1979 Heft 11.png

nickeccles likes this.
  15. Mister X

Another BASF Version from 1980, it looks like its the same unit with an added clock/timer.

Playboy Deutschland 1980 Heft 6.png

nickeccles likes this.
  16. Mister X

and in the same issue of Stereoplay is the Wega Version from 1979

Stereoplay 1979 Heft 11 2.png

17. Mister X

Wega 1980

Wega 1980 1.png
    Wega 1980 2.png

18. ueiku

ueiku New Member

A video of the CS-9 in action has been uploaded to YouTube.

Videos of many Aiwa products are also available on this AirRecording channel.

Last edited: Aug 24, 2023
    Mister X and nickeccles like this.
  19. nickeccles

nickeccles Well-Known Member

Speakers the wrong way round...........

20. ueiku

ueiku New Member

There was a mention in the telop in the video.
    It seems that when the speaker was put out at the park's resting place in advance and the picture was taken, the orientation was wrong when putting it back.