1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What is the difference between all the AIWA Compo Boxes?

Discussion in 'Chat Area' started by Mister X, Jan 25, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Mister X

Mister X Moderator Staff Member

I forgot about that Longman, guys used to love to put on that "special" album, and then part way through they'd take off the speaker grill and you'd watch the dancing woofers while wondering how did they make that happen.

2. Mister X

Just taking a break from shoveling snow, another AIWA M-501 Ad

Aiwa 501 1.png
    Aiwa 501 2.png

3. autoreverser

autoreverser Well-Known Member

...nice, you can easily put it together with a glass of red wine :thumbsup2:

4. Mister X

That would have been an awesome kit autoreverser, too bad they didn't have it in build-it-yourself form. I used to live close to HeathKit and I'd see those units everywhere but I never saw one being built.

Mystic Traveller likes this.
  5. autoreverser

autoreverser Well-Known Member

i do have a Heathkit tube pre-amp. what great kit (USC-1). people today aren‘t that handsome anymore, that‘s why they stopped making those kits (unfortunately).

Mister X likes this.
  6. Mystic Traveller

Mystic Traveller Well-Known Member

nice, illustrative - paid a lot for a handful of details.. ;)

Mister X likes this.
  7. Mister X

Heathkit fell on hard times in the late 70's when audio and video prices really started dropping. I don't think they could compete with all of the plastic-fantastic models.

Mystic Traveller likes this.
  8. Mister X

I finished my 80 Series, here's some owner's manuals, I don't think these are anywhere on the net. First the AIWA SA-C80U Preamplifier, this was the first unit I found a long time ago at a thrift all by itself, over the years I've bought most of the other components.

AIWA 1.jpg
    AIWA 2.jpg
    AIWA 3.jpg
    AIWA 4.jpg

9. Longman

Longman Well-Known Member S2G Supporter

As you say Heathkit was killed off by Flow Soldering machines and low Far East wages. I recall them claiming you could save money by building things (like the TV that was the top of their range) yourself. In 1979 I worked with a bloke in his 50s who said that in the 1960s he had a sideline of assembling radio kits to order. People would choose a radio kit (maybe from Heathkit) and for a fee he would assemble it for them. They would get a radio cheaper than the ones in the shops and he would earn some extra money. It is possible that changes to taxation also worked against them in the UK. At one point the taxation on "luxury"goods like radios was far higher than "industrial" ones like resistors.

I also wonder how many badly built kits they had to sort out. In the UK Sinclair sold their ZX81 computer as a kit, but had so many returns they decided against doing so with the more complex Spectrum, getting Timex to assemble and test them all instead.

I did actually get to assemble a couple of Heathkit kits for test equipment which were bought for the Radio Room when I was in the Air Training Corps. The instructions were extremely clear and well written. Better than the ZX81 which I also built when it came out.

Mister X likes this.
  10. Alex_cruz

Alex_cruz New Member

Greetings friends introducing me I am Alejandro from Veracruz Mexico I am fascinated by the aiwa mini I have the following models the P22, P30, P50 and P80

Mister X and Mystic Traveller like this.
  11. Mister X

Do you have the complete series for those models? That's pretty impressive if you do, I was going to start another thread dedicated to mini-stereos one of these days.

I just finished with my 80 Series after a few years of searching.

Alex_cruz likes this.
  12. Alex_cruz

Alex_cruz New Member

[QUOTE = "Mister X, post: 39051, member: 352"] ¿Tiene la serie completa para esos modelos? Eso es bastante impresionante si lo haces, iba a comenzar otro hilo dedicado a mini estereos uno de estos días.

Acabo de terminar con mi Serie 80 después de unos años de búsqueda. [/ QUOTE]

Attached Files:

Roman_SH, Mister X and lupogtiboy like this.
  13. Alex_cruz

Alex_cruz New Member

El aiwa P22 es mi última adquisición, lo estoy limpiando en esta imagen.

Attached Files:

Mister X and lupogtiboy like this.
  14. Mister X

Very nice Alex_cruz! Do you have other mini stereos? How did you get all of the AIWAs?

15. Alex_cruz

Alex_cruz New Member

I only have aiwa, and for audio groups on Facebook is that I contacted people who had two of them impeccable for sale but one of them the P30 parcel (Fedex) did not take care of the box and I got hit a module fortunately I have a piece of spare only need to put that broken piece to have it impeccable due to lack of time and I have not solved

Mister X likes this.
  16. Mister X

I'm the same way, when I have a little more time I'll fix all of them (hopefully). I'd love to find more of the accessories, they really made the system "self-contained" more than any other audio company, unfortunately they are very difficult to find.

Alex_cruz likes this.
  17. Alex_cruz

Alex_cruz New Member

If they are really a beauty because it was so much love at first sight that I decided to have several models and especially the aiwa P22 that is the most difficult to get fortunately is the last one that came to me a week ago and then excited to take it apart to return to have that brightness on the front for the time you have because it has slight marks of use but glad to have it I only need a plate of the Cassette deck that does not bring it in the photo you can see

Attached Files:

18. Alex_cruz

Alex_cruz New Member

[QUOTE = "Gonzo83, publicación: 36629, miembro: 2384"] ¡Hola a todos!

Recientemente compré un Aiwa MiniCompo Series 22 por 50 €, alrededor de 45 £. C22, L22, P22 y R22, con la rejilla original. ¡Una auténtica ganga!

[​IMG][/CITAR]
    hello i am fascinated by the minis aiwa i got addicted i already have 7 hahahahahaha i want to make the furniture for one similar to yours could you give me the measurements and images? they are from Mexico a big hug

19. Alex_cruz

Alex_cruz New Member

[QUOTE = "Gonzo83, publicación: 36629, miembro: 2384"] ¡Hola a todos!

Recientemente compré un Aiwa MiniCompo Series 22 por 50 €, alrededor de 45 £. C22, L22, P22 y R22, con la rejilla original. ¡Una auténtica ganga!

[​IMG][/CITAR]
    hello i am fascinated by the minis aiwa i got addicted i already have 7 hahahahahaha i want to make the furniture for one similar to yours could you give me the measurements and images? they are from Mexico a big hug

20. Alex_cruz

Alex_cruz New Member

hello greeting everyone again better write my question directly someone who has the furniture of the aiwa mini could give me the measures to do it personally? I have images but I don't measure them. I can't find them to do everything exactly if someone can help me and I attach the photo of the new member of my collection, the mini aiwa A22

Attached Files: